Wednesday, December 1, 2010

He is sick....again

Jayden taking his breathing treatment on Wednesday night and him laying on the couch Sunday night. He did that all on his own. Poor guy just wasn't feeling well.

Note: This is a very long post....sorry, I just won't be able to remember everything if I don't write it out now.

We must have bad luck when it comes to the end of the month. For the past three months, Jayden has been on antibiotics for something. This time it wasn't an ear infection because of a tooth, but infiltrations on both of his lungs--(and I knew it in the back of my head from the start--call it a mother's intuition or maybe just several life experiences). Jayden is getting a tooth as well as dealing with his other illness. Poor kid can't catch a break. I am so glad we have good health insurance and a good substitute doctor to take care of him because he is feeling so much better in just a day.

Jayden started with a little cough on Saturday which grew to a fever Saturday night. His cough continued on Sunday followed by another fever as well as chills in the middle of the night. I also listened to his lungs with a stethoscope and checked his ears. We didn't get much sleep on Sunday night so I stayed home with him on Monday morning. After we woke up, he was a little warm, but was excited to play with his toys. He seemed to be doing a lot better. I thought he was on the uphill climb from a cold a not something worse which I expected. I went ahead and went to work for the afternoon hoping not to hear from the sitter. She text me that afternoon and said he had a temp of 102.7, which is too high for my liking.

With my Mom's extra encouragement, I called the doctor's office who told me to "wait it out" because it was just a cold and possibly the start of the flu. I told the nurse I didn't think that was a good choice and I wanted permission to take him to Express Care, which we have to do with our insurance, because I knew it wasn't just a cold. After 3 hours of waiting, 2 doctors, and a lot of crying we found out it wasn't an ear infection--(which I already knew because I checked myself at home). They then took him back for x-rays. I didn't get to go with him, but Aaron told me they put him in a little capsule, took chest x-rays, and he didn't even cry. I am sure the room freaked him out more than anything. At that point I knew exactly what was wrong. Unfortunately, I had been in the same situations many times during my life as a child. We had to then wait for the radiologists to read the x-rays because the doctor saw something. More bad luck---2 traumas were sent to Memorial and we had to wait on the radiologists to see those x-rays first. Finally, after a long, long, long, wait they finally told us the results, gave Jayden medicine, and told us to contact our primary care physician in the morning.

On Tuesday Aaron stayed home from work to take care of Jayden. We are lucky that his work is so understanding. When I called the doctor's office that morning, his pediatrician was out for the day--thank goodness. Fortunately, another great doctor was by the phone when I called. It just happen to be the parent of one of my former students. She accepted Jayden as her patient that day and we had an appointment for him that afternoon. We visited with Dr. Vlahos who gave us the report and said she was really worried about Jayden's lungs and the medicine they prescribed for us. She put him on Azithromycin, which goes straight to the lungs. We also got a prescription for albuterol for breathing treatments 2x a day.

Tuesday night and today were so much better for the little man. He just has a little cough, which has been germ free since Tuesday, and is back to playing. He doesn't care for his breathing treatments, but that is just too bad.

I've learned a lot from this experience. First, we are so lucky that we went to the doctor when we did before he got too sick and had to be admitted to the hospital, which could have very well happened. Second, I too, need to get back to the doctor and get on allergy shots pronto. This reminded me how fast a person can get sick and if it is me getting sick then I can't take care of the boys which is my job. Third, I learned that we have to trust our instincts. Even if it means going to the doctor everyday until we figure out what is wrong. I am so glad this illness only took 1 doctor visit to get answers. We still don't 100% know what was wrong with him when he had the red patches in August. Hopefully that never comes back!

1 comment:

The Aslinger's said...

You are such an awesome Mom, Jodi!!